Frequently Asked Questions

What Should I Do If…

  • What should I do if I have a sewer backup?
    Click here to view document
  • What should I do if I have an odor in my home?
    Check all floor drains, including those in your furnace or utility room for water in the floor drain trap. If odors are coming from the drains or you know they are dry, try adding some water. The odors should go away.


  1. Why do I receive two bills for water?
    The two bills you receive are different. One bill is from your water company. This is for the culinary water you bring into your home. The other bill is from us, Snyderville Basin Water Reclamation District. This is for the water you put out of your home (i.e. flushes, bath, laundry, etc.). It does not include irrigation water.
  2. How can I contact my water company?
    There are several different water companies within the Park City area. For contact information click here.
  3. I have a second home or a condo I rent out which is empty a lot of the time. Do I still have to pay the wastewater bill or is there a special rate for an empty residence?
    If your water company can verify that the water is shut off and there is no usage, we will credit your account for the period of time the water is turned off. This must be verified by your water company to us directly. Many times this is not cost effective, as your water company may charge a disconnect and reconnect fee.
  4. I have renters at this property and they should be paying the bill.
    As a courtesy to our customers, we will bill renters when an authorization form is filled out and signed by the property owner, giving us permission to bill the renter. It is the owner's responsibility to bring the account current if the renter does not pay. This form is available by calling our office or following this link property owner authorization form.
  5. Can I pay my bill on-line or with a credit card?
    The District has partnered with an on-line bill payment service. You can make a one-time payment, pay your bill in monthly installments, or set up your account to be paid in full on the due date. Click here on-line bill payment service to be directed to this service.
  6. How can I report a mailing address change?
    You can e-mail (Kristin), call our office, or make the change on your billing stub when sending in your payment.
  7. I am moving and need to give you may new address for a final bill.
    Your wastewater collection account stays with the property and is a part of closing title when the property is sold. If you are using a Park City title company, they will collect for the final bill and inform us of the new property owner. If you are moving from one home in Park City to another, your account number will change.
  8. Why did I get a service charge, I paid my bill?
    Payments are posted on the date they are received, not the postmark date. Bills are mailed the first week of each month and are due the last day of the month. Service charges are calculated monthly on past due amounts. Try sending your payments a few days earlier to assure it is received on time, or consider using our Direct Pay Program or on-line bill payment service.
  9. How is my bill calculated?
    Wastewater user fees consist of a combination of a service charge and a volume charge. The service charge is a base fee that all users pay, regardless of the amount of water used. The volume charge is based on the average water used during the months of November through April. See our rate resolution for a more detailed description of our fees.
  10. Why do you use winter months to calculate user fees?
    Treatment plants are sized for peak months. Because of the nature of a ski resort town, water that is discharged into the collection system during the winter months is higher than in the summer. Summer water readings also include irrigation water that we do not treat. Our treatment plants need to be designed to handle all wastewater flow that is generated from homes and businesses during the winter months.


  1. What are the benefits of proper operation and maintenance (O& M) of the collection system?
    The goal of collection system O & M is to minimize investments of labor, materials, money, and equipment. In other words, we want to manage our human and material resources as effectively as possible, while delivering a high level of service to our customers.
  2. Why do you have to clean the collection lines?
    The ability of a wastewater collection system to safely and efficiently convey wastewater is a function of the capacity of the pipe. When a line is constructed, a design capacity is established. However, as with any physical structure, deterioration from use begins almost immediately. With use, a collection line’s capacity is reduced and can only be maintained or restored by regular scheduled maintenance. Any obstruction or collection of debris inside the pipe, such as grease and roots, will reduce capacity.
  3. Why do the manhole covers in the road need to be so low to cause a bad bump when I drive over them?
    Manhole covers are adjusted to be just below the road surface to protect the manhole covers from snowplow damage. Sometimes however, roads receive a new layer of asphalt that increases the depth of the manhole cover in the road. When the depth becomes too great or we receive complaints, the manhole covers are adjusted to provide a smooth ride over them.
  4. What should I do if I smell odors coming from a manhole or sewer cover?
    Call the District office at (435) 649-7993 during our regular business hours. We will check to make sure the line is operating properly, investigate to determine the cause, and take actions that will reduce the odor problem.
  5. I have a sanitary sewer easement on my property. What does that mean, and what is it used for?
    The easement allows the SBWRD to access the wastewater line, which is located in the easement, for maintenance and operation. The easement must be kept clear of any vegetation or structures, including retaining walls that would prevent access along the easement by SBWRD maintenance personnel and vehicles.

Development Projects

  1. I am developing a new subdivision or other type development within the Snyderville Basin.  What is the process for connecting the development to the Public Wastewater System?
    The process for connecting developments to the Public Wastewater System is discussed in Section 202 of the Development Procedures, Design Standards and Construction Specifications document. Please refer to the Standards and Specifications link for specific information.
  2. I understand that a Line Extension Application and Agreement (LEA) must be submitted to the District to receive approval from the Board of Trustees to begin the planning and design of the wastewater system extension necessary to serve my development. When should I submit the LEA?
    LEA’s, along with the required development fees, should be submitted a minimum 2 weeks prior to a regularly scheduled Board of Trustees meeting in order to be placed on the agenda for the Board meeting. The Developer and his Engineer should have met with the District Engineer and Development Coordinator prior to submittal of the LEA to discuss the development process.
  3. What fees are required for extension of the wastewater system to serve a new development?
    There are two separate fees associated with extension of the wastewater system. A $100 Application Fee must be submitted with the LEA and covers the District's cost for processing the application. A Subdivision Engineering Fee in the amount of 6% of the estimated construction cost for the wastewater system improvements required to serve the development is also required. This fee covers the District's time, effort and expense in reviewing designs, and providing construction inspections and general project coordination for those improvements. An initial payment of $750 is required at the time LEA is submitted. Payment of the remainder of this fee is required prior to Plat Approval or Final Design Approval. Assessment and payment of Impact Fees occurs at the time a building permit for a specific building is being requested. See the impact fees link for more information.

Private Lateral Connections

  1. What is the process for obtaining a building permit?
    Submit a completed wastewater service application and associated plans and documents here.
    Pay required impact fees following District review and approval of application and plans.
    Provide receipt of impact fees paid to Park City or Summit County building department.
  2. How do I schedule an inspection of a Private Lateral?
    Call 435-214-5228 to speak directly with Engineering to schedule an inspection appointment. If Engineering cannot take your call, please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
  3. How can I find out where my lateral stub is located?
    The District prepares a lateral information packet for each new building. This packet is provided when impact fees are paid. It contains lateral location information and other requirements that may be specific to the site. This information must be provided to the contractor installing the lateral. If needed, an additional packet can be requested by contacting Engineering (435-214-5228).
  4. How soon before an inspection do I need to call for an appointment?
    Please allow a minimum of 24 hours. The District will make every effort to complete inspections within 24 hours of the time an inspection is requested. However, during peak inspection periods, additional time may be needed.
  5. Where can I find the construction and testing requirements for new lateral construction?
    District standards can be found here. Additional site-specific requirements may be included in the lateral information packet. If the contractor is unfamiliar with the District's construction and testing requirements for laterals, it is recommended that they schedule an on-site consultation with a District inspector by calling Engineering (435-214.5228).
  6. The plat of my subdivision indicates that my lot is an "EP" or "LP" lot. What does that mean?
    "EP" indicates that a private ejector pump may be required to lift the wastewater up to the public main line. "LP" indicts that the lot is served by a low-pressure sewer system. These systems require specific out-door pumps and pressure laterals. Currently, the only approved pumps for low-pressure systems are provided by Environment One Corporation.

Wastewater Treatment

  1. Does it smell at the facilities?
    The District has installed a comprehensive odor control system to prevent odors from leaving the facility. Odors are confined to the enclosed tanks and buildings and the air within those areas is drawn off and scrubbed in a granular activated carbon filter (GAC). Odors do not leave the District’s property.
  2. How much wastewater do you treat?
    On average, we treat about 3.5 million gallons per day (MGD) of our 6.0 MGD capacity. On the short term, however, we can treat up to 12 MGD.
  3. Does the water freeze in the winter?
    No, with an average flow of 1,200 gallons per minute, it doesn’t have a chance to freeze.
  4. How long does it take to clean the wastewater?
    With an average flow of 1.75 MGD, it takes 18-24 hours from when it enters the facility until it is discharged.
  5. Can you drink the water you discharge into the creeks?
    No. While our final effluent is safe to recycle back to the environment, it is not treated to meet drinking water standards.
  6. How do you disinfect the water before discharging it into the creeks?
    The District utilizes Ultraviolet Disinfection (U.V.) at each facility. The U.V. light inactivates any pathogens (harmful bacteria or viruses) which may remain in the water after all previous chemical and/or biological treatment has been completed.
  7. How many people work there?
    The District employs 45 full-time employees in Treatment, Collections, Engineering, Finance, and Administration. A total of 20 employees are engaged at each facility, the laboratory, and the solids and pretreatment programs.
  8. Do you offer tours of the facilities?
    Yes. We very much enjoy conducting tours of the facilities. Please call Chad Burrell at 435-214-5238 to arrange a tour for yourself or your group.


  1. Do you collect the garbage?
    Republic Services collects garbage (NOT Allied Waste Services), phone number is 435-615-8311.
  2. How can I contact my water company?
    There are several different water companies within the Park City area. For contact information click here.